${site.data.firmName}${SEMFirmNameAlt} Access To Law …The Key to Justice
New Clients: 770-729-4753 Existing Clients: 770-685-1499

How to get a visa for a parent

United States citizens living in Georgia or Alabama whose parents want to move into the country need to petition to get a green card for them. A green card holder is able to legally work and live in the country permanently. There are a number of steps to the process, and the one applying for the visa needs to meet certain eligibility requirements.

According to the U.S. Department of State, the child of the parent must be 21 years or older and needs to be a current citizen of the States. A green card cannot be issued to parents of a child who is only a green card holder, and the person petitioning for the visa must consider the United States his or her permanent residence.

In order to petition, the child needs to fill out form I-130 through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and produce a copy of his or her birth certificate that lists the mother's and/or father's name. If the child was not born in the U.S., a copy of the United States passport or Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship must also be supplied. When the USCIS approves the application, the parent can go to the closest United States Consulate to finish the green card process. According to the USCIS, denied applications can be appealed, and the denial letter will give instructions how to do so.  

If a parent wants to come to the United States and work while waiting for green card approval, he or she can get a work permit in the meantime. Upon arrival to the States, the parent will receive a passport stamp which allows them the opportunity to gain employment. 



No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Contact us for help

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Access To Law Foundation
2415 Beaver Ruin Road
Suite B
Norcross, GA 30071

Toll Free: 800-401-7274
Phone: 770-729-4753
Phone: 770-713-2686
Phone: 770-685-1499
Fax: 888-308-1931
Norcross Law Office Map

Back To Top